Enter into a night dreamworld with an immersive performance taking its inspiration from James Joyce’s Ulysses chapter 15: Circe.
The artwork combines light and video art with performative elements including contemporary dance and circus. The audience is invited into the depths of the show to dive into the multisensory world of the subconscious, hallucinations and decadence, depending on their individual courage.
The performance is located in the former Finnish National Bank building, which has been hidden from the public in the cityscape for decades. Nighttown is directed by award winning dance artist Pirjo Yli-Maunula and co-created with the whole team of 15 artists from Flow Productions.
Nighttown is a commissioned work for Lumo light festival and is part of the Creative Europe project Ulysses European Odyssey, where an event, exhibition or performance from one of the book’s chapters is carried out in 18 cities.
- Director: Pirjo Yli-Maunula
- Light designer: Jukka Huitila
- Sound designer: Anssi Laiho
- Dress designer: Sylvi Siltavirta
- Set designer: Heidi Kesti
- Photographer: Janne-Pekka Manninen
- Dancers: Nina Bulgakova (Ukraina), Henna Hanhineva, Milla Virtanen
- Circus artists: Ben Collis (GB), Kata & Jared van Earle, Elisabeth Künkele (D), Emma Langmoen (N)
- Performer: Nikke Launonen